This was inspired by a trip to classic White People caribbean chain Turtle Bay. Apparently it was Bob Marley’s favourite dish. I don’t know about that, but it makes a good change from my standard Indo-European fare.
Best served with rice ‘n’ peas, or if you’re lazy like me, garlic bread. It surprisingly works very well.
So here’s the recipe:
- 1 aubergine, chopped into cubes
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and chopped into cubes
- 1 pepper, chopped into strips
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp onion powder
- 3 tbsp thyme
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp allspice
- 1 chilli (or two if you’re non white, lol)
- 400ml coconut milk
- 1 tin carrots
- 1 tin sweetcorn/2 cups frozen sweetcorn
- Peel and cut aubergine into smallish cubes. Put in colander set over bowl/sink if you’re lazy like me and let it stand for 20 minutes.
- Heat oil in a heavy/large pot over heat. Add onion powder, thyme, garlic, allspice and chilli, sautee for a minute or so.
- Add coconut milk and simmer for another few minutes.
- Add sweet potato, carrots, pepper and 235ml water and simmer. Sprinkle with salt and black pepper. Bring to simmer and cover for 10 mins, stirring occasionally.
- Add aubergine and sweetcorn, then add just enough water to cover the vegetables. Cover and simmer again until all vegetables are tender and the liquid is creamy, so another 15 minutes ish. Add more water bit by bit if you think it’s reducing too much.
- Sprinkle again with salt and pepper and serve!