I’m a big fan of the meme “squatting slavs in tracksuits”. I also like my mushrooms and boozy food. So when I adapted James Martin’s recipe, I was sure it’d be a hit. I was right! It’s not healthy but it is very tasty. Serve with rice, or my favourite, garlic bread. Or potatoes if you want to be super slav.
- 25g vegan spread
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp onion powder
- 550g mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tsp garlic and ginger puree
- 1 tsp paprika
- Chilli powder – as spicy as you want it
- 50ml white/red wine or wine vinegar – this is optional if you want to make it halal
- 30g tomato ppuree
- 100ml vegetable stock
- 100ml soya cream
- 1/2 tsp parsley or mixed herbs
- 1 tsp salt
- Melt butter and oil together in a large pan.
- Add the onion powder, mushrooms, garlic/ginger puree, spices and wine and cook for ten minutes.
- Stir in the tomato puree, vegetable stock and vegan cream. Bring to the boil then reduce the heat to a simmer.
- Add the herbs/parsley/salt and pepper.
- If you think the sauce is too thin, keep simmering.
- Serve with a carb of your choice!